"only You can make every new day seem so new" ~Five Iron Frenzy

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Thankful Thursdays - Mi Madre

I know Mother's Day is now past, but since my mom won't get her gift until the end of this weekend, I was working on it yesterday.
Yes, my Mother's Day gifts are still homemade - though they've come a long way since the construction paper cards and homemade pencil holders proclaiming "#1 Mom" scribbled in crayon that I proudly gave as a 5 year old.

So yesterday I set out to make my mom's gift with a little inspiration ("I Love Lucy") on in the background.

I can honestly say, without a doubt, that I have been blessed with the best parents.  Ever.  Sure, they're not perfect, but if I said they were, you wouldn't believe a word I said from now on.

To help you understand how awesome my mom is, I think it would be best to tell you some of my childhood memories:


I remember breaking a beautiful, expensive, figurine that was perched on a shelf in the living room.  Horrified that I had broken something valuable, I started tearing up.  My mom very calmly came in the room, cleaned up the mess, and told me that it was okay, that I was worth much more to her than a figurine.

When I was in elementary school - around third or fourth grade, I began getting terrible headaches on the bus ride to and from school.  My mom was able to rearrange her schedule at work so that she could drop me off, go to work, and get off in time to pick me up (the elementary school I went to was also out in the country - about a 15 minute drive).

When my brother, sisters, and I got a little older - entering our teenage years, we had received a Nintendo 64 from our uncle for Christmas.  Our mom was the "cool mom" out of our group of friends, because she would play Nintendo with us for hours on end.

One day when I was in middle school, I needed new clothes about halfway through the year (I was going through the inevitable 7th grade growth-spurts).  My mom asked me if I wanted to go with her to pick up my older sister from work - she took a wrong turn on the way, and ended up taking me up to Kalamazoo to go clothes shopping.

She has always tried desperately to keep the peace in our family - making our home feel like a very safe environment.

She gave birth to four kids in five years, and just when we were all beginning to grow up - she started the process all over again with my little sister, Laura.


She has been patient, caring, comforting, and strict all at the same time.

She makes the best apple pie.  Ever.

She is a strong woman of God and has a real heart for worship.

She has made mistakes (don't we all?), but she realizes when she's wrong, and tries hard to make it right.

So I am thankful that I have been blessed with an absolutely amazing mother who has taught me that all life's answers can be found in I Love Lucy, that taking time to pray and worship is essential, and that time spent with family is invaluable.

She has given me her knack for creativity and baking, her desire to always keep the peace, and her love for old shows and movies.

I love you mom!



Who are you thankful for in your life today?

Much Love to All!


2 comments:

  1. aww, this made me cry! i love your mom too, she has very much become my mom too (since mine is gone) one of the most wonderful things she said to me was when she was recovering from her historectomy a few years ago. somehow she knew she was in bad shape, and she told me her very first coherant thought was, "i have to get through this because kristance cannot lose another mom!" still makes me bawl my eyes out. and yes, her apple pie is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger was having a huge glitch around the time I posted this and it went missing for a few days - I was HYSTERICAL when I first saw that it was gone. SO glad to have this post back :O) I made mom cry too! *score!*

    ReplyDelete