"only You can make every new day seem so new" ~Five Iron Frenzy

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays - 5 Cheese Macaroni Chicken Cordon Bleu

So I got talked into doing Tasty Tuesday with my sister in-law.  Didn't I tell you that I buckle under the slightest bit of peer pressure?

I really don't have any of my own original recipes to share, but my husband is an excellent cook and loves experimenting, so until I find my own, I'm going to post his.

This week's recipe (like most of my husband's) isn't the healthiest thing you can it - it contains a lot of butter and cheese, but it is very, very creamy and delicious.

5 Cheese Macaroni - Chicken Cordon Bleu

Ingredients

1 lb. Macaroni pasta
1-2 Chicken breasts (or about 1 lb.)
6 oz. Pre-cooked ham
10 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded
8 oz. Mozzarella cheese, shredded
8 oz. Velveeta cheese (about 1/2 of the 1 lb. block)
1/2 Container of parmesan/romano cheese 
1 c. Milk
1/2 lb. Butter (1 stick)
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder

Directions

1.) Boil macaroni until tender, drain and set aside.

2.) Using a sharp knife, butterfly the chicken breast(s), season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

3.) In a large skillet, melt 3-4 tbsp. of butter, cook chicken on medium high until lightly browned and cooked thoroughly.

4.) Cut cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces.

5.) Cut up ham into bite-sized pieces also, and cube Velveeta cheese (about 1/2 inch cubes).

6.) In a large saucepan, combine milk, 4 tbsp. of butter, mozzarella, 8 oz. of the cheddar, and parmesan/romano over medium heat - stirring often - until cheeses are mostly melted and sauce is runny.

7.) In a large mixing bowl, combine/toss macaroni, chicken, ham, and velveeta until blended well.

8.) Preheat oven to 375.

9.) Evenly spread macaroni mixture in a large (9x13), glass baking pan.  Cover with melted cheese sauce, sprinkle the top with remaining 2 oz. of cheddar cheese and more parmesan/romano.

10.) Bake for about 25 minutes or until cheese begins to brown slightly on top.  Remove from oven and season the top with salt and pepper - let stand 3-5 minutes before stirring.

Enjoy!



dance your way back to zion

1 comment: