"only You can make every new day seem so new" ~Five Iron Frenzy

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays - Dad's Iced Tea

Iced tea during the summers at my house growing up was a staple.
We drank it like water.
So much so, that I just assumed that everyone knew how to make a pitcher of iced tea.
Once I left home and entered the real world, however, reality sunk in - not everyone knows how to make a pitcher of good iced tea.

On beautiful warm days like today - treat yourself to this yummy, perfectly sweetened, yet not too sweet, iced tea.

Here's my dad's recipe for perfect iced tea:

1.  Fill a small pot (1 qt.) half full with water.

2.  Add 3 teabags for 2 qts. - or 6 teabags for a gallon - pitcher.
My dad would use Red Rose tea - which makes a really good iced tea.  Today, though, I'm using "Mad Hatter" tea - that I got in Ireland a year ago.  It makes excellent iced tea.

3.  Place pot on burner - slowly bring to a boil over medium heat.

4.  For a gas stove - allow tea to boil for about a few minutes before turning heat off.  For an electric burner - once tea begins boiling, turn heat off - leave pot on the burner.

5.  Allow to sit and continue to brew for about 15 minutes.

6.  Use two table spoons to fish out teabags and drain them.

7.  Pour tea into pitcher.  Add 1/4 c. sugar for 2 qts. - 1/2 c. for gallon.
(Use splenda for a healthier choice - you can always add more sugar if you prefer the southern sweet tea level of sweetness - personally, that's too much for me).

8.  Fill the rest of the pitcher with cold water - stirring as filling.

9.  Chill in fridge - or pour over a glass of ice to serve immediately.

I know those were a lot of steps - but they were all really simple - I'm sure you can manage! 
For extra yuminess - 
If you like lemon tea (which I don't...) - slice up a lemon and toss in the pitcher!
Try flavored teas! (like Celestial Seasons Cranberry Apple Zinger)


dance your way back to zion

1 comment: