"only You can make every new day seem so new" ~Five Iron Frenzy

Monday, May 16, 2011

Harry Potter and the Enticing Goblet of Fire

It finally happened.

On Friday, I got my hands on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through this book and I both love and hate it at the same time.

Harry and his friends are now 14 years old - high school aged, for us Americans - and there is a significant difference in this book from its three predecessors. 

Before I read this books, I knew that the author wrote each one according to the typical reading level of Harry's age.  The first three books were all fairly similar, there was a lot of continuity and fairly simple vocabulary.  Very appropriate for readers aged 11-13.  This fourth book however, makes a bigger leap forward.  
-It doesn't follow the same format (which is fine)
-The author throws in some difficult vocabulary
-The story line is becoming more complex.

I love that this book keeps you wanting to read more.  No wonder these books are quick reads - they are so enticing, that you can't put them down! And your speeding through, reading as fast as you can because you cannot wait to see how it ends!  I love that the reading is gradually becoming more and more suspenseful and that the story has more twists.

What don't I like about it? Well, this is difficult.  I really, truly like that the characters are very true to life - Ron and Harry especially - are very, very typical teenage boys.  They have short tempers, they get in fights, and they are clueless - especially when it comes to girls.  Unfortunately, all of this also makes them a little irritating for me - a girl.  It's especially irritating when they take things too lightly - like Harry's dream in the beginning and his scar hurting, or when he took forever to try and figure out the clue from the golden egg.  Yes, I find these teenage boys irritating - but would I have it any other way? Would I have them be polite, easy-tempered, and quick to admit when they're wrong? Definitely not.

On the other hand, I'm liking Hermione more with every book I read.  I've liked her from the beginning, but it was a little difficult for me to relate to her at first.  As much as I love school in general, I'm not nearly the over-enthusiastic, over-achieving student she is.  I'm almost the opposite - I care enough to get decent-good grades, but nothing beyond.  I can't even imagine taking more classes than there are hours in the day.
I'm beginning to relate to her a lot more, though.  Her constant struggles to get Harry and Ron to be friends again, and the way she gets up and walk away from them - rolling her eyes and muttering "boys" when they're being stupid.  She is extremely loyal, extremely smart, and let's just say that I can relate to a teenage girl a lot better than a teenage boy :O)

So without further ado, I am going to stop typing and go finish Goblet of Fire because I just cannot wait to see how this book ends, let alone the whole series!

Much Love to All!

1 comment:

  1. isn't your big brother just so thoughtful to lend you those books? (:
    <3

    ReplyDelete