"only You can make every new day seem so new" ~Five Iron Frenzy

Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Words are flowing out like endless rain into a papercup..."

"...they slither as they pass, they slip away across the universe" ~The Beatles

This week I'm taking some time off from my every day life.  Remember those wonderful friends I mentioned in my previous post?  The ones that made my final year at SAU so wonderful?  Well, they're youngin's ... meaning they're still at Spring Arbor, seniors this year.  They're currently working on a little musical called "The Music Man," you may have heard of it.  After seeing the extensive plans they have for the set pieces and hearing that an old friend of mine - another SAU alum - is on campus to help, I really got the inkling to go for a visit.  If you have ever been unemployed (and car-less), you know how stir-crazy you can get, being at home alone with really nothing important to do.  This only added to my yearning to go back and help out, even if just for a week, with the theater program I hold so dear.

After some last minute, hap-hazard planning, I was able to fan-angle a way to get here (but that's another story...).  I've only been back for a few hours, but it's been long enough for me to realize one of the things that I miss about college:  the community.  Yes, it's kind of cliche, especially for an SAU alum, but it's very true.  I miss the social aspect.  I miss being able to step out my door and be within walking distance of a library, a dining commons, a theater.  I miss not being able to take two steps out of my door without running into someone I know.  I miss having friends down the street, across the hall, in the other room to hang out with every night - many times during the day also.  It was one of the hardest parts about leaving.  Being an adult.  Being alone.  Well, not quite alone.  I do have my husband, whom I love tremendously, but he has work.  I (currently) have nothing.

And as strange as it may sound, I miss my classes.  I miss learning, I miss my mind being challenged.  I miss having to write 2-3 pages on one sentence in a book.  I miss doing research and organizing speeches and finding the meaning behind the symbol.

Anyway, that is what I miss.  What am I doing here now?  Well, I will admit, that almost half the reason I came was because of this "old friend."  She was an art major and I spent a hell of a time helping her paint sets before (another story in itself ... in fact, I've already written down - maybe I'll post it later).  I love her dearly, but haven't seen her in almost two years.  I also have her machete (again, LONG story - suffice it to say, "theater people.").  There is a problem, though.  She came for a couple weeks to help out with the set, but a couple days ago she was injured.  From what I hear, she was playing ultimate frisbee when she fell and someone landed on her ankle, breaking it and tearing all the ligaments.  Rumor has it she goes in for surgery tomorrow.  I am very disappointed.   To say the least.  I always imagined coming back and sort of re-living set painting with her and imagined this glorious time we'd have together.  Apparently God had something else in mind and I'm trying to rest easy - knowing that He knows what He's doing.  At this point, I just hope she has a speedy recovery and I just want to see her, just once, before I leave.  I don't care if we get to do everything I pictured, I just want her to be okay.

I will probably blog again in a couple of days, I think I may post the story of this girl (did I mention her name was Kelly?) - the one that I wrote about our experience set painting.  Then you'll hear from me again at the end of the week - Friday when I leave - and I'll let you know how everything turned out.

Please be praying for Kelly's surgery and recovery as well as the cast and crew of "Music Man."  They're really working hard, and I hope that I will get to see the fruits of their labor in February.

Love to all,
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment