"only You can make every new day seem so new" ~Five Iron Frenzy

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"I'm just sittin' here watching the wheels go round and round..."

"...I love to watch them roll" ~John Lennon.

I just began this blog yesterday and I wanted to start by reflecting on the past year.  So many huge things happened in 2010 and I challenge you to come up with someone who had a more exciting year.

First of all, I finished my last on-campus classes at Spring Arbor.  I was sad to move back home in May, knowing that I wouldn't return.  I wasn't planning on enjoying my 5th year at SAU, all of my really good friends had left.  I didn't realize that God had blessed me with three AMAZING roommates as well as a few other friends who made my year SPECTACULAR and made leaving that much more difficult.

Myself, Breinne, Liz, and Lauren at the Luminocular Film Fest last Spring

Around the same time, my husband (then fiance) graduated.  Shortly after this, I left on a once-in-a-life-time adventure to Ireland/England.  I was blessed to have at least one friend on the trip with me, as well as my future brother in law, Matt.  Along with his friend Casey and Kaitlin, whom we adopted into our group part way through, we had quite a fun time.  The trip lasted a total of 3 weeks (about 10 days in Ireland and 10 in England).  If I were to go into any more detail, I'd probably need about 20 more blog posts - one for each day.

Casey, Matt, and Myself way back in the distance - at a park near Buckingham Palace in London, England.

Next, to top the whole list of everything that happened last year, I was married to the love of my life on July 17th at 3:00pm.  All I can say is, "IT WAS ABOUT TIME!"  We had been dating for about 5 years (engaged for 2 of those years) and saw MANY friends married before us by the time our day came around.We were married by our favorite professor and mentor at SAU, Dr. Paul Patton.  We were surrounded by our closest friends and family - what can I say? The day was magical...

Left to Right: Nick, Katie, Sarah, Jake, Kathie, Ben, Adam, Myself, Chris, Kate, Matt, and Bethany.

The previous Spring, I had found a student teaching placement for the Fall at Dundee HS in Dundee, MI.  This meant that shortly after we were married, we'd need to move to Dundee.  Adam was blessed with a security job in Dundee, which he began directly after our honeymoon.  We were also blessed with an inexpensive apartment right across the street from the High School I would be at - we moved in just one week before I began.  My student teaching experience went extremely well.  I really enjoyed working at that high school and my cooperating teacher was extremely helpful.  This last November, I graduated from Spring Arbor and completed my student teaching.  I ended the semester with a 4.0 GPA (for the semester - not overall, I slacked off majorly my first couple years of college...) - the first of my college career!

Mallory, Myself, and Mary - two other girls integral in making my 5th year a memorable one :O) - Mary was also on my trip overseas!

In the same tone with the rest of the year, Adam and I ended 2010 with a bang.  Unhappy at his current job, though it was a blessing while it lasted, Adam started searching for a new one.  He applied for a security position at the University of Michigan Hospital, and after several weeks of interviews, exams, and tests - he was offered the job a few days before Christmas!  What a wonderful Christmas present from God :O) He began training on January 3rd.  Not only is this job MUCH more interesting for him - it also pays significantly more, has kick-butt insurance that began right away, and has a great retirement plan, etc. and he will get a raise after 3 months!

That pretty much brings us up to date.  We're currently trying to move to Ann Arbor.  There's this great place that has openings, is affordable, includes a pool and workout room, and is only about 6 miles from Adam's new job.  Our only problem is that we need to get out of our lease here.  It won't be up until August, but we'd like to move much sooner.  Our rent is going to be too high here (it's based on income) once we report our new income, making it not worth paying for gas for Adam to drive to Ann Arbor daily.

There it is, my last year in the briefest nutshell that I can muster.  All I can say is that we've been blessed beyond belief so far.  Can anyone top that?

Much Love to all,
~Cheryl

1 comment: