"only You can make every new day seem so new" ~Five Iron Frenzy

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Determination

What do I want to change about myself for the better?


Oh dear...I suppose many things.


One thing does come immediately to mind.  Ever since I was really young, there is one phrase that has needed to be erased from my vocabulary (my mom told me this all the time and I now agree with her), and that is "I can't."  I am always the first to see my own limitations, the first to stop trying at the first sign of adversity, and the first to give up a cause as totally lost.


There is one virtue in my mother that I have always wished I possessed: anytime she decides that she wants to do something, she always gets it done.  My older sister Kathie is the same way.  I have yet to see anything either of them encounter that they do not complete, conquer, or overcome.  They have a determination and a will to never give up that I somehow have missed.


I don't know whether it came with being the youngest child or whether I missed something in the gene pool, but I really wished that I believed enough in my own abilities and will-power to accomplish anything that comes my way.  I really wish that I wouldn't give up so easily.


I know this is something about me that needs to change and it's something that I'm going to be working on beginning now and continuing in the future.  It's definitely not going to be easy, and I need to begin by having a bit more faith in myself - which has always been difficult for me.  But I do know that I am stronger than I usually give myself credit for and I'm sure I really can do things, if I put my mind to it.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm interesting thoughts...it's weird that you didnt get their genes...

    ReplyDelete