"only You can make every new day seem so new" ~Five Iron Frenzy

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays - Sloppy Joe DiMaggios

I got this recipe off Rachel Rae's 30 Minute Meals (she had it paired with this sweet corn salad that looked delectable).
I made it for my husband's birthday a couple weeks ago and it was a pretty big hit.

It's real simple to make and puts a fun, tasty twist on sloppy joe's.
It's also great for the summertime - great for cookouts and family get-togethers because you can double this recipe and make enough for a small army.

1.  Brown about 2 pounds of ground meat in a large skillet - seasoned with a little grill seasoning and lots of chili powder.

2.  Push meat to the sides of the pan, and add 6 chopped hot dogs in the middle (size of the the chopped pieces is really up to you - I like mine smaller).

3.  Add in 1/2 chopped onion (again - to your preference - I prefer my onions to be more finely chopped).

4.  Turn heat down to low/med-low and cover to let onions cook more quickly.

5.  I transfered mine to a crock pot and it did well in there - I had made it hours ahead of time, so wasn't too concerned about the onions cooking through (which can take a bit) - I just let them finish cooking in the crock pot.

6.  Serve on hamburger buns and top with shredded cheddar cheese.

The idea of these sandwiches is that they're supposed to taste like a ballpark - you've got the chili-seasoned meat and cheddar cheese to bring in that chili cheese french fry and/or hotdog flavor, and - well - the hot dogs themselves.

Mmm...sloppy!
 (ps-that drink in the background - awesome. I will share another time)

At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about putting hot dogs in a sloppy joe, but trust me. It is delicious - even if you're not a huge fan of hotdogs.

This recipe made enough to feed 8 of us - and that was with the guys going back for seconds, thirds, etc!

Oh! and Rachel Rae had this fantastic tip for left-overs - cook up some macaroni noodles and mix them in to make a sort of "sloppy joe goulash." Unfortunately, I didn't have any left-overs to try this with!

Much Love to All!
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment