"only You can make every new day seem so new" ~Five Iron Frenzy

Monday, June 6, 2011

Final Thoughts on Harry Potter

I apologize for my rather lazy blogging habits lately - it's been nearly a week since I've posted in either of my blogs, which is quite a dry-spell for me.

Anyway.

I have mentioned before my two favorite fantasy series - Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia.  Having Tolkien and Lewis as standards against which I measure other fantasy series, it is extremely difficult for me to admire another author.  In the case of Harry Potter, in particular, I was fully prepared to enjoy the story - however, I was NOT prepared to be so impressed with the author.  These are truly very well-written stories and I love reading them.  Some people don't require "good writing" to enjoy a book - I do. I enjoy and bask in exquisite writing like some people do in excellent music or superb cuisine.  These books are definitely something I can go to in order to satisfy that hunger.

What makes these books, in my opinion, "good writing?"

-The character development - the characters are not static - they have depth and complexity.  Especially the main characters - they change as adolescents so often do as they grow older and gain more experiences.  They are also very true to life - I often found myself mad at Harry and Ron for all the stupid-teenage-boy-stunts, and I didn't think it was possible to hate a fictional character as much as I hated Umbridge.

-The themes are plentiful and fully carried out - friendship, trust, loyalty, love - these books have a lot to say about all of these and more.

-Rowling's attention to detail, and her style of writing in general, pulls you into the story and takes you on an emotional roller coaster - I laughed out loud (literally, not just "lol"), welled, gasped, sobbed, and often found myself on the edge of my seat, holding my breath.

All of this and more really helps a story to come to life and I think that JK Rowling did an absolutely fantastic job.

I am currently re-reading the books - quickly, before I have to give them back :P and I cannot wait to finish this story again and gain a more complete view of how everything ties in together towards the end.

My husband doesn't understand how I can re-read books - when I already know how they end.  I guess I should ask him why he listens to a song a loves more than once - to enjoy the melodies, harmonies, and rhythms that he knows he loves? Same reason why I read a book again - to enjoy and bask in the excellent writing.

Much Love to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment